New Funding Window Now Open until 31 January 2024!
The Canoe Foundation’s new funding window is now open! Canoe Foundation, the official charity partner of British Canoeing, is pleased to announce that applications for our latest round of grant funding is open from 1 November 2023 to 31 January 2024.
If you have a project that will provide more access opportunities for paddlers* and are in need of funding of up to £10,000, the Canoe Foundation wants to hear from you.
In the last four years we have awarded over £200,000 to fantastic paddling projects across the UK. Many are now completed and in active use. This includes new or improved access points for canoe trails on to moving water, estuaries, canals and reservoirs. These include improvements that are accessible by organisations who provide opportunities for those who might otherwise struggle to enjoy paddling.
With more people than ever taking up paddlesports such as canoeing, kayaking and stand up paddleboarding; we’re looking forward to seeing a wide range of applications from paddling locations all over the UK.
The latest funding window will be open from 1st November until 23:59 on 31st January 2024 and is available at https://www.canoefoundation.org.uk/apply/
The Canoe Foundation is looking for projects across the whole of the UK that will:
- Increase or enhance existing public access points to water for all forms of paddlesport
- Create launching and landing sites, to and alongside water, for all sectors of the community and all abilities. They should be designed to be durable and use sustainable materials when applicable
- Protect and enhance the natural blue spaces we enjoy such as rivers and coastlines
- Are “ready to go”. You need to have researched planning permission and it must be granted or agreed in principle. We also need to see quotes for the work obtained, and support from relevant local groups or partners (for example a letter of support). Finally, we like to see evidence that you’ve tried to get funding from other organisations or have matched funding in place
The Canoe Foundation welcomes applications from:
- Paddling clubs
- Community groups
- Parish Councils
- Local Authorities
- Anyone in the UK with an active interest in improving access to water and protecting the environment in the UK
- Organisations or partnerships with local paddlesport groups who will continue to support the maintenance and use of the facilities on an ongoing basis
Specifically, we’re looking to fund:
- Launch and landing platforms, ramps and steps
- Improvements to pathways and accessible routes to the water’s edge
- Designated or essential additional parking for water users
- Works that create more sustainable access points
- Access improvement projects that actively engage and allow water users to protect/enhance the waterway or riverbank environment (e.g. by preventing bank erosion)
- Signage and information that promotes positive behaviour (eg Countryside code, “Check, Clean, Dry”, warnings of hazards or guidance on appropriate routes or trails)
- Projects that would benefit more than one user group
- Projects that benefit or provide opportunities to a wide range of paddlers rather than facilities limited to private members
So if you’re a paddling club, a community group, Parish Council, Local Authority, charity or organisation working to improve or sustain access to the water in your area, we would love to hear from you! The Canoe Foundation’s new funding window opens on 1 November.
Applications for this funding cycle will close after 31st January 2024 and will be carefully considered against the criteria by the Canoe Foundation Trustees before successful applicants are contacted. Please note that applications will not be evaluated until after 31 January 2024, so if you apply early on in the funding window, you will need to wait quite a while for a decision. For further information, please visit canoefoundation.org.uk, follow us on Instagram @canoefoundationuk or contact email@example.com
*Paddlers means canoeists, kayakers and paddleboarders)