Donations: Where does my money go?
We know that giving money to charity can often raise the question, “where does my money ACTUALLY go?” Well we’re hoping this short article might provide a little more clarity.
The Canoe Foundation is a small charity, aiming to improve places to paddle. There are 5 Trustees (volunteer positions), and one part time member of paid staff. So we’re not a big charity with lots of overheads and outgoings. We work with partner organisations like British Canoeing and retailers within the industry to try and make a positive difference to our sport and recreation.
So when I donate, where does my money go exactly?
Well twice a year, we open up applications for grants. Basically, the money we raise gets re-distributed into the community so that it can make a real difference on the ground. Over the last year we’ve awarded over £100,000 in grant money, raised from a large historic legacy donation and donations through British Canoeing membership purchase.
The types of projects we fund include:
- Public launch and landing platform, step, ramp or other physical access point
- Improvements to pathway and/or accessible route to the water’s edge
- Signage or information that promotes positive behaviour (Countryside code, “Check, Clean, Dry”, take your litter home etc).
- Designated or additional parking for water users
- Works to address erosion and/or create more sustainable access points
- Helping protect the waterway environment such as habitat creation and/or invasive non-native species action
- Multi user project that can benefit more than one user group ie open water swimming and paddle sport
Generally we support community organisations to access these grants and make a difference, so we look most favourably on applications from:
- clubs, community groups, Parish Councils, Local Authorities or anyone in the UK with an active interest in improving access to water for recreational users and protecting the environment.
- organisations or partnerships with local paddlesport groups who will continue to support the use of the improvements on an ongoing basis.
So that’s us. Hopefully it gives you a little more clarity on where your money actually goes once you’ve donated to the Foundation.
Take a look at some of the specific projects which have received funding and completed recently here.
We rely on donations to improve places to paddle across the UK. Please consider donating a one off or regular amount to our Foundation to help us continue with our work and ensure everyone has sustainable, effective access to our waterways and coastline. Thank you. Donate here >