The Canoe Foundation has paused applications and hopes to open these up again in 2022. A significant number of grant awards have been made in the last 18 months where projects have been delayed for understandable reasons and we are therefore in the process of confirming the status of current projects and encouraging completion of projects receiving funding. This will allow us to evaluate funds available for future application rounds and the impact of successful projects in assisting and raising funds for future improvements. Awards from the 31 August 2021 closing date are being made and applicants notified of the outcome of their bids.
Below you will find our online form for funding applications. To guide your applications, use our examples of previously funded projects here.
Funding applications are open to clubs, community groups, Parish Councils, Local Authorities or anyone in the UK with an active interest in improving access to water for recreational users and protecting the environment.
This should be organisations or partnerships with local paddlesport groups who will continue to support the use of the improvements on an ongoing basis.
Online funding applications are expected to be in the range from £500 to £10,000 and encouraged to be deliverable by the end of 2021. Exceptional projects over £10,000 will be considered.
Grant payments are in arrears, on a direct payment, or pass-through basis. Matched or crowd funding is not essential but helps demonstrate the degree of local commitment to a project and to extend the number of projects that can be supported. More detail here.
We consider applications after each closing date, with the next review being for applications received by 31st August 2021.
Grants for projects that are able to commence quickly may be awarded before the funding window closes, so we encourage applicants to apply early. We are also keen to support projects that can be completed by the end of 2021.
Please note our current focus is on:
- Increasing and protecting public access points to water for recreational users.
- Creation of sustainable launching and landing sites, to and alongside water, for all sectors of the community and abilities.
- Protecting and enhancing the natural environment.
Types of projects we would consider:
- Launch and landing platforms, steps or ramps.
- Improvements to pathways and accessible routes to the waters edge.
- Signage and information that promotes positive behaviour (Countryside code, “Check, Clean, Dry”, take your litter home etc).
- Designated or additional parking for water users.
- Works to address erosion and create more sustainable access points.
- Projects that actively engage recreational water users in helping protect the waterway environment (such as river clean initiatives, habitat creation or invasive non-native species action).
- Projects that are multi user or can benefit more than one user group.
- Projects that benefit all paddlers rather than member facilities
What we will not fund:
Please read this carefully to save yourself time and effort.
- Coaching / leadership education and training
- Purchase or hire of paddlesport equipment such as kayaks, canoes, paddleboards and accessories
- Staff or coaching costs/fees for paddlesport activities
- Costs that benefit an individual
- Facilities such as a club house or storage for equipment
Please note – this isn’t an exhaustive list! If you are seeking funding for any of these, make sure you’re familiar with the different funding pots available at Sport England and The National Lottery.
If you have any queries please use the Contact Us page to get in touch. Please note that the Foundation has no full-time staff at this time and relies mainly on volunteers. However, we will endeavour to acknowledge applications and respond within a week of receipt.